WCCC’s Early Childhood Program provides a safe, secure, and nurturing environment for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, and a curriculum that addresses all areas of a child’s development – physical, social, emotional, and cognitive. We believe that children learn best through active exploration and interactions with adults, other children, and materials. Children’s needs change as they grow and each room is organized to reflect these developmental differences.
In Infant One and Infant Two, the schedules are as varied as the infants themselves.
In our Green and Blue toddler rooms, we provide time and space for the children to explore with all their senses as they learn to use their rapidly developing physical and verbal skills.
In our Purple, Yellow, and Orange preschool rooms, we provide a wide range of activities and experiences that promote confidence in developing skills, an enthusiasm for learning, and a sense of the importance of making independent choices and connecting with others.
In general, children are placed into each of our seven classrooms by chronological age. Because we believe in the importance of establishing strong relationships among children, teachers, and families, all children remain in the same room for the entire year. Each child has a “primary teacher” who begins the process of communication with a home visit, writes regular notes during the year, keeps track of each child’s development, and meets with parents for conferences each year.
Classrooms are generally divided as follows:
- Infant One: ages 3 months to 8 months in September
- Infant Two: ages 7 months to 15 months in September
- Green Room: ages 15 months to 26 months in September
- Blue Room: ages 22 months to 2 years, 9 months in September
- Purple Room: ages 2 years, 9 months to 3 years, 9 months in September
- Yellow Room: ages 3 years, 7 months to 4 years, 5 months in September
- Orange Room: ages 4 years to 5 years in September