Objective: To make a delicious bread in one bowl. No yeast or kneading required!
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup uncooked grain porridge cereal (e.g. Red River Cereal)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 4 cups of buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 1 bread pan and 1 muffin tin.
- In a very large bowl: mix white flour, whole wheat flour, grain cereal, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Form a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in buttermilk.
- Mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated. (The batter is pretty wet. More like muffin batter.)
- Fill the muffin tins with batter and a bread pan with the remaining batter.
- Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes and the loaf of bread for 55-60 minutes.
Activity by Karen McVay, Sprague Site
Photo Credit & Inspiration: www.eastcoastmommyblog.blogspot.com