Objective: To make a top that spins well.
Hint: weight needs to be low to the ground and top must be balanced.
- Cardboard – corrugated cardboard from a box
- Marbles – 1 per top
- Bamboo skewers
- Glue gun
- Markers, colored pencils, or crayons
- Pennies or washers – 4 per top
- Plastic cup
- Trace a circle on the cardboard and cut out.
- Make a hole in the center with scissors.
- Decorate the top with markers, colored pencils, or crayons. Bright colors and bold patterns work the best.
- Use hot glue to attach the marble to the underside of the top. The hole in the cardboard gives the marble a place to sit, but it won’t fit IN the hole.
- Glue 4 pennies around the edge of the top on the underside. These give the top weight, which really does increase the spinning time!
- Adult job: you may be able to cut the skewer with scissors, but if too thick, garden clippers will work.
- Color the skewer with a Sharpie.
- Glue the segment of the bamboo skewer to the top side where the hole is. Use a LOT of hot glue, and hold the skewer upright until it dries.
- You are now ready to test out your spinning top!
Activity by Karen McVay, Sprague Site
Photo Credit & Inspiration: www.frugalfun4boys.com